01. Revision of Total Estimated Cost for Seven Projects - The proposal made by Hon.Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, to revise the total Estimated Cost of the following seven water supply projects, due to the change of the original scope of work and also due to price escalations, was approved by the Cabinet:
01. Establishment of a Welfare Fund for Journalists, Artistes and Writers - the proposal made by H.E. the President, to establish a Fund to assist aged Artistes, Journalists and Writers who had been previously engaged in creative work as professional Artistes and Journalists on full time basis and are spending their retired life, to ensure their well-being, and to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft necessary legislation for the purpose, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Memorandum of Understanding between Tribhuvan University, Nepal and University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka - covering approval of the Cabinet of Ministers was granted to the proposal made by Hon. S.B. Dissanayake, Minister of Higher Education, for signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between Tribhuvan University, Nepal and University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, with the view to promoting academic exchange and co-operation between the two countries.
01. Declaration of Sri Padasthanaya as a Sacred Area - Sri Padasthanaya situated at a height of 7353 feet above Main Sea Level covers an extent of nearly 100 acres. On the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, Cabinet decided to appoint an Officials' Committee to explore the possibility of declaring the said area where the Sri Padasthana Temple is situated as a 'Sacred Area' through the Department of National Physical Planning with a view to providing better facilities for pilgrims.
01. Jaffna City Development Project - Jaffna is one of the important regions identified for post conflict development under the ten year development framework of the Government. The Urban Development Authority has proposed to construct a Rest House consisting of 38 rooms with all other facilities in Jaffna to facilitate the accommodation requirements of those visiting Jaffna. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development to vest the required block of land with the Urban Development Authority, to implement the construction of the Rest House, was approved by the Cabinet.
01/13. Action Plan Formulated on the Indiscriminate use of Chemical Fertilizer and other Agro-chemicals and the Implementation of the Recommendations of the Parliamentary Advisory Committee on Kidney Diseases and the Indiscriminate use of Agro Chemicals - Cabinet decided to appoint a Presidential Task Force to identify the priority areas contained in the Action Plan prepared for this purpose, taking into consideration the observations made by the Minister of Finance and Planning, the Minister of Technology and Research, the Minister of Construction, Engineering Services, Housing and Common Amenities, the Minister of Agriculture and the Minister of Special Projects and to ensure the speedy implementation of the proposals on a priority basis.
1. Investigations into Complaints received from the General Public in Discharging Duties of the Ministry of Health - with the view to providing an efficient and effective health care service to the public and to take action on complaints made by the public in instances where they are inconveniencedand dissatisfied with the services provided by the Ministry of Health and theinstitutions under its purview, the proposal made by Hon. MaithripalaSirisena, Minister of Health, to establish a pool of officers consisting of serving or retired Specialist Medical Officers, Senior Medical Administrative Officers and Senior Officers of the Sri Lanka Administrative Service, so that Investigating Committees could be appointed in such instances from the said pool of officers, was approved by the Cabinet.
Strategic Cities Development Project - a project is being formulated by the Ministry of Finance and Planning to develop major cities in the country, including Galle and Kandy, to achieve the planned development in those cities. Preparation of Strategic Development Plans for Galle and Kandy cities, together with a Transport Improvement Plan to overcome traffic issues in Kandy city were identified as priority needs under this project. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to obtain the consultancy services for the preparation of Strategic Development Plans and for conducting Environmental Assessments for the purpose from the University of Moratuwa and far Social Assessments from the University of Peradeniya, and to proceed with the relevant activities, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Revision and Consolidation of Legislative Enactments - Legislative Enactments officially edited up to the year 1956 consist of 12 volumes of principle enactments and 07 volumes of subsidiary legislation. Legislation subsequently enacted from 1956 to 1980 are incorporated in the last revised edition of legislative enactments of Sri Lanka. It has become necessary to revise and consolidate the laws that were promulgated since 1956 and to have such editions in Sinhala, Tamil and English languages. The proposal made by H.E. the President, to proceed with the related activities, was approved by the Cabinet.