01. Recommendations of the Finance Commission for the Financial Year 2014 - the proposal made by H.E. the President, to give effect to the recommendations made by the Finance Commission for the Financial Year 2014, on apportionment of funds to Provinces allocated by the Annual Budget and setting out other administrative measures that need to be adopted, and to present the said recommendations in Parliament for approval was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Resettlement of Underserved Settlements in the City of Colombo - the Urban Development Authority (UDA) has planned to construct about 65,000 Housing Units for resettlement of shanty dwellers in underserved settlements in the city of Colombo. It is expected to construct multi-storied condominium apartments with all common amenities to resettle the families. The released lands will be utilized for the construction of such apartments and also for mixed development projects, tourism activities, maintenance of reservations and recreational activities in keeping with the City of Colombo Development Plan. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to vest some of the state lands identified for the purpose with the UDA as free grants, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Resettlement Program for the Occupants of Underserved Settlements and Temporary Shelters in the City of Colombo and its Environs - the Government has initiated a programme to accelerate the Underserved Resettlements in the city of Colombo to be implemented by the Urban Development Authority and the objective of this programme is to provide houses with modem facilities to upgrade the living standards of the underserved occupants. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to construct a 15 storied housing complex for the purpose was approved by the Cabinet.
01. The 3rd Istanbul International Water Forum from 27th to 29th May, 2014 - a delegation led by Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage attended the above Conference.
The Conference had focused on subjects of water security and legal aspects of water and was attended by Water Professionals. Academia. Scientists, International Organizations etc. The delegates had agreed to common approaches to water and sanitation issues and Millennium Development Goal Targets in the Asian Region. The above information was furnished to the Cabinet by Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage.
01. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Information & Communication Technology Authority (ICTA), Turkey and the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka TRCSL) - this MoU provides a mechanism for technical and institutional cooperation with the purpose of contributing to telecommunication development in both Sri Lanka and Turkey. Particular areas of cooperation envisaged are technological development, universal access to telecommunication services, convergence and next generation networks etc. The proposal made by H.E. the President, to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding between TRCSL, Sri Lanka and ICTA, Turkey, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Revision of Total Estimated Cost for Seven Projects - The proposal made by Hon.Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, to revise the total Estimated Cost of the following seven water supply projects, due to the change of the original scope of work and also due to price escalations, was approved by the Cabinet:
01. Establishment of a Welfare Fund for Journalists, Artistes and Writers - the proposal made by H.E. the President, to establish a Fund to assist aged Artistes, Journalists and Writers who had been previously engaged in creative work as professional Artistes and Journalists on full time basis and are spending their retired life, to ensure their well-being, and to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft necessary legislation for the purpose, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Memorandum of Understanding between Tribhuvan University, Nepal and University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka - covering approval of the Cabinet of Ministers was granted to the proposal made by Hon. S.B. Dissanayake, Minister of Higher Education, for signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between Tribhuvan University, Nepal and University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, with the view to promoting academic exchange and co-operation between the two countries.
01. Declaration of Sri Padasthanaya as a Sacred Area - Sri Padasthanaya situated at a height of 7353 feet above Main Sea Level covers an extent of nearly 100 acres. On the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, Cabinet decided to appoint an Officials' Committee to explore the possibility of declaring the said area where the Sri Padasthana Temple is situated as a 'Sacred Area' through the Department of National Physical Planning with a view to providing better facilities for pilgrims.
01. Jaffna City Development Project - Jaffna is one of the important regions identified for post conflict development under the ten year development framework of the Government. The Urban Development Authority has proposed to construct a Rest House consisting of 38 rooms with all other facilities in Jaffna to facilitate the accommodation requirements of those visiting Jaffna. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development to vest the required block of land with the Urban Development Authority, to implement the construction of the Rest House, was approved by the Cabinet.